Online Profiles

University of Utah - 2016

print entire profile



Undergraduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Prospective undergraduate students must apply through the University’s Admission Office. Students may be directly admitted to the College of Engineering if they are academically ready to take first semester engineering courses. All other students enter the University of Utah in a pre-major status and are then admitted to the College when academically ready.

Undergraduate Admission to an Engineering Department

All students must satisfy a set of prerequisite courses before being allowed to take advanced engineering courses (2000 level and above). The level at which students begin their studies depends upon prior preparation and scores from the SAT/ACT and AP/IB test credits.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

International applicants graduating from high school in the United States must meet the same requirements as domestic applicants. In addition, a minimum TOEFL score of 80 on the iBT (550 pBT) or better, or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 or better is required. International applicants graduating from secondary schools outside the US must have completed all requirements for graduation with satisfactory grades and must have received a diploma or certificate of graduation. In addition, applicants must be eligible for admission to a major university in the country in which they graduated. International students on visas are not eligible to enroll as provisional or non-matriculated students. To qualify for admission to the university as a transfer student, any international student who begins academic studies at another college or university must complete at least one year of satisfactory work (30 semester hours of general academic credit with a 2.60 GPA, or better) before transferring to the University of Utah

Admission to the university does not guarantee immediate entry into all majors.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

All prospective non-resident students must meet the same entrance requirements as resident students.

The Utah law that governs residency for tuition purposes states that an Undergraduate Domestic Non-Resident Student must reside (be physically present) in Utah for twelve continuous months. In addition to the twelve continuous months, the student cannot be claimed as a dependent on the tax returns of a person who is not a resident of Utah. The student must also take overt steps to establish intent to become a resident of Utah by obtaining a Utah driver's license, Utah vehicle registration, and Utah voter registration, dated at least 90 days prior to the first day of class of the term for which the student is seeking resident status. An adult who enrolls as a student at a Utah institution within twelve months of arriving in Utah is presumed to have moved to Utah for the purpose of attending an institution of higher education and is declared a nonresident for tuition purposes.

Residency Requirements

A student who has been admitted to the University must reside in Utah for one continuous year prior to the beginning of the academic period for which registration as a resident student is sought and must provide evidence that residency is not maintained elsewhere. If it is evident that the student is in Utah to attend school, residency will not be granted. For additional information regarding the University of Utah Residency for Tuition Purposes visit

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

To be considered a transfer student, a student must have completed 30 semester hours of transferable college coursework. The coursework must be earned after high school graduation and must be completed by the beginning of the student's admit term. Concurrent enrollment and test credits (AP, CLEP, etc.) are not counted in the 30 semester hour requirement.

Applicants transferring from another college or university are expected to have previously graduated from an accredited high school. If the student seeking transfer admission has completed less than 30 semester hours of acceptable transfer work, a high school transcript and ACT or SAT test scores are required. Applicants who have not graduated from high school seven years prior to the term of admission must have the high school preparation described in the freshman section (

Applicants with 30 semester hours or more of transferable work and a cumulative college-level GPA of 2.6 or higher are likely to be admitted. Those with a cumulative GPA below 2.6 will likely be denied. Students who have an associate of arts or an associate of science degree from a regionally accredited institution may be admitted with a 2.35 or higher GPA. Students not meeting the admission criteria may be considered for admission on an exception basis if their special talents or diversity enhances the institution's life and character. The Credits and Admissions Committee will review additional information for applicants requesting special consideration. Admissions requirements, deadlines and fees are subject to change without prior notice.

Transfer credit earned in residence at other regionally accredited collegiate institutions is normally accepted for advanced standing if the work is parallel in nature to programs offered at this university, and if grades of C- or better have been earned in the credited courses. No transfer credit toward a bachelor's degree is allowed for courses graded below C- by the College of Engineering and its Departments. To minimize the possibility of taking college courses that do not count toward major requirements (or admission into a major), students should contact the department of their desired University of Utah major prior to enrolling in a junior college, or at least during their first year of junior college.

Number of Transfer Students from:

A two-year community junior college where they were full-time students: 176
A four-year college or university where they were full-time students: 151