Online Profiles

Duke University - 2016

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Students who wish to undertake graduate work at Duke University, whether for degree or nondegree purposes, must be formally admitted to the Graduate School.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

Bachelor's degree (or equivalent) from an accredited institution and satisfactory GRE scores. Submit application with the following support documents: official transcript ; statement of purpose; 3 letters of evaluation; official GRE test scores; GPA; & non-refundable application fee to the Graduate School.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

If your first language is not English, you must submit scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the academic modules of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). The scores will be a decisive factor during the application review process. The Graduate School only admits applicants who have one of the following minimum scores (some departments may require a higher score):

577 for paper-based TOEFL
90 for an Internet-based TOEFL
7.0 for the IELTS

NOTE: All international graduate students whose first language is not English are required to take oral and written English placement exams administered by the EIS program upon matriculation. Depending on your exam results, you are either exempted from or placed into one or more EIS courses.

Residency Requirements

The minimum residency required is one academic year of full time registration at Duke (12 units each semester). The minimum registration requirement is 60 units of graduate degree credit, of which not more than 15 units of a completed master's degree may be accepted by transfer.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Transfer of up to 15 units of credit for graduate work completed at another school will be considered only after a student has earned a minimum of 12 units of graduate study at Duke. After completing the 12 units, the student should file a request for transfer of credits on the appropriate Graduate School form.