Online Profiles

University of Massachusetts Lowell - 2016

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

The applicant must show official evidence of having earned a baccalaureate degree or its U.S. equivalent from an accredited college or university. The degree must have been earned with a satisfactory scholastic average. The applicant must have obtained a satisfactory score on the appropriate entrance examination required for admission by the program or department to which admission is sought.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

Applicants should contact the appropriate graduate coordinator to get additional information about the program of studies, financial aid possibilities and any additional requirements, standards or deadlines.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

International students apply through the regular Admissions process. In addition to the application for Graduate Admission, the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) exam must be completed.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

There are no differences for non-resident students.

Residency Requirements

These vary by department. Generally, the equivalent of at least one academic year of full-time graduate work must be spent at the University when in pursuit of a doctoral degree.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Admissions requirements are no different for transfer students.

A maximum total of 12 graduate credits earned with a grade of B or better taken at another accredited institution may be transferred to a master's degree program (see individual programs for further restrictions, if any). A maximum of 24 credits with a grade of B or better may be transferred to a doctoral program. The limits of 12 credits toward a master’s and 24 toward a doctoral degree do not apply to any credits earned at UMass Lowell by students while in a non-degree or undergraduate BA/MA or BS/MS status, provided the courses were taken within the department offering the master’s or doctoral degree.