Online Profiles

Iowa State University - 2016

print entire profile


Expenses & Financial Aid

Student Group(s): In-State / Out-of-State

Undergraduate Group 1 Undergraduate Group 2
Tuition & Fees: $8,435 $21,799
Room & Board: $8,356 $8,356
Books & Supplies: $995 $1,040
Other Expenses:
Estimated avg. course load per term: 12 9
Does your institute have any special programs or fee structures for the expenses category "All Students"?: No

Special Programs or Fee Structures

Other expenses included in Tuition & Fees columns include an Activity, Services, Building, & Recreation Fee ($659.40/yr), Health Facility Fee ($16.00/yr), Health Fee ($216.00/yr); and Technology Fee- $446.00/yr for Engineering students (most students incur a Technology fee of $230.00/yr). Undergraduate and Graduate international students incur the same fee schedule as Out-of-State students plus an additional $500/yr in Tuition.

Financial Aid Information

Required financial aid forms

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Additional Financial Aid Information

Eligibility for financial aid is determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students can apply online at beginning October 1 for the coming academic year. Students should submit the FAFSA before December 1 to receive consideration for most grants and scholarships. A new application must be completed each academic year.

The priority deadline for financial aid is December 1. Priority financial aid is awarded to eligible students who complete the FAFSA prior to December 1 each year. Students who apply after this date will be considered for the Federal Pell Grant and student loans. New students enrolling spring semester or summer session should complete the current year’s aid application to apply for any available financial aid. To be eligible for most financial aid programs, a student must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, enrolled at least half-time, and making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree.

Students may use their financial aid for study in other countries if they have clearance for the transfer of credit to their degree programs and have made financial aid arrangements prior to departure. For further information, contact the Study Abroad Center, 3224 Memorial Union, or the Office of Student Financial Aid, 0210 Beardshear Hall.

There are three general types of financial aid programs: gift aid(scholarships and grants), loans, and part-time employment. Laws, regulations, and policies governing these programs are subject to change.