Online Profiles

Harvard University - 2016

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Individuals wishing to apply the graduate programs offered by the Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) must complete the application form for the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (GSAS) at Harvard University. The GSAS application consists of the application form, transcripts from all institutions a student has attended, official GRE scores, official TOEFL scores (if required), the SEAS Supplemental Application, a statement of purpose, a copy of the applicant’s c.v., and three letters of recommendation. The deadline for application is December 15th. The current application fee is $105.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

Students with bachelor's degrees in the natural or quantitative sciences, mathematics, or engineering are invited to apply for admission. Since the undergraduate programs of entering students are diverse, the courses students must take to round out their training are extremely varied, and a committee on higher degrees helps students design appropriate plans of study. Many students embark on programs that lead to careers only peripherally related to their undergraduate majors. Applicants must take the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test. Although the GRE Subject Test is not required, performance on the relevant GRE Subject Test will be considered if it is available. Our experience indicates that the results of this test can be especially helpful in the case of foreign applicants. Students whose native language is not English and who have not received an undergraduate degree from an institution where English is the language of instruction must submit, as part of their application, scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

Graduates of foreign schools who believe that they have completed the equivalent of an American bachelor's program may apply, enclosing with the application original documents or official certified copies thereof, indicating the nature and scope of the educational program they have pursued. Only individuals who have the B.A. or B.S. degree, first-class honors or other evidence of academic excellence, and who can understand rapid, idiomatic English, and can speak, write and read English with a high degree of facility should apply for admission. Applicants whose native language is other than English and who do not hold an undergraduate degree from an institution at which English is the language of instruction must submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Applicants must pass the TOEFL with a minimum score of 80 on the internet-based test to be considered for admission. Note that a masters degree from a school in which English is the language of instruction does not meet this requirement.

Residency Requirements

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and SEAS do not admit transfer students. Once admitted, a doctoral (Ph.D.) student who has completed at least one full term of satisfactory work in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences may file an application with the committee on higher degrees requesting that graduate work done elsewhere be counted toward the academic course requirement. No more than the equivalent of three semester-length courses may be so counted for the Ph.D. No courses taken at another institution may be counted toward the minimum academic residence requirements for a master's degree.