Online Profiles

The University of Texas at Austin - 2016

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Admission requirements vary depending on the specific degree you pursue. Contact the graduate adviser or coordinator in your specific area of interest for more information or to arrange a visit to the Cockrell School of Engineering. For information, see .
Follow the application instructions for your specific program:
IMPORTANT: Many Cockrell School graduate programs require supplemental information in addition to the requirements for The University of Texas at Austin Graduate School.
For complete information on admissions requirements and helpful links, please see

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

See above.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

In addition to meeting the general requirements for admission, applicants whose native language is not English must demonstrate sufficient competence in English to study effectively at the University. These applicants are required to submit scores on either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) to the Graduate School.
Because transcripts from foreign universities require special evaluation, prospective international students are advised to submit their application forms, test scores, and transcripts well in advance of deadlines. Early submission gives the University enough time to process the application and gives the applicant enough time to obtain visas and make travel arrangements if admission is granted. A nonrefundable processing fee is required with each application for admission to the Graduate School, the McCombs School of Business, or the School of Law. All payments must be in US dollars and drawn on US banks. Current fee amounts are given in the General Information Catalog.
International students must maintain approved comprehensive health insurance or coverage. The student’s registration bill includes the premium for the University health insurance policy, unless approval to substitute alternate, comparable coverage has been given by the International Office.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

Students seeking admission to the Graduate School should consult the UT Graduate School website at for admission information and application forms. Students should also consult the graduate advisor for the engineering program to which they apply at for information on additional requirements and materials.

Residency Requirements

Texas law classifies each person who applies for admission to a Texas public college or university as a resident of Texas, a nonresident, or a foreign (international) student. How students are classified is important because it determines whether they pay non-resident tuition rates or in-state rates, which are lower. For further information on residency requirements, see website:

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Ordinarily, all work for the master’s degree must be done at the University of Texas at Austin. Under some circumstances, a maximum of six semester hours of graduate coursework in which the grade is A or B may be transferred to the Program of Work from another institution, but only on the basis of a petition by the Graduate Studies Committee and with the approval of the graduate dean. A student seeking a transfer of credit must provide the Graduate School with an official transcript and an official explanation of the course numbering and grading systems at the school at which the credit was earned. Only graduate courses may be transferred. Work counted toward a degree at another institution cannot be transferred. Students are encouraged to seek approval before taking any coursework they plan to transfer. Students should not take courses at another institution during the semester they plan to graduate because the grades may not be received in time to certify the student’s Program of Work for graduation. Unless its inclusion has been approved by the graduate dean, no coursework listed on the Program of Work may be over six years old.
The doctoral Program of Work normally includes no more than six semester hours of courses transferred from another university. The Graduate School recognizes that the academic background of each doctoral student is different, and exceptions to the six-hour maximum may be granted with approval of the Graduate Studies Committee.
Transferred coursework as described in this section appears only on the student’s Program of Work. It does not appear on the official student record maintained by the registrar. Because it is not part of the official record, such coursework does not appear on the student’s transcript and is not included in either the graduate grade point average or the Program of Work grade point average.