Online Profiles

The University of Texas at El Paso - 2016

print entire profile



Undergraduate Admission to the College of Engineering

In addition the usual preparatory work, applicants to the College of Engineering are expected to have at least two years of algebra, one year of geometry, and one semester of trigonometry or pre-calculus.

Undergraduate Admission to an Engineering Department

New and transfer students begin their first semester as Pre-Engineering majors in an entering students program within the college. During the semester in which they are enrolled in calculus I (or higher-level math), they petition for change of major to the engineering discipline of their choice.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

The University welcomes applications from qualified international students whose academic backgrounds indicate a high probability of success in desired academic programs. First-year applicants must complete high school preparation, or its equivalent, that would qualify them for admission to recognized universities in their home country.
All admission credentials will be evaluated on the basis of the admission requirements described below. Students who have attended other colleges or universities in the United States or abroad should also refer to the Transfer Admission section of this catalog for additional information about the transferability of credit.

Documents Required. The University must receive complete, official, or school-certified transcript of high school and university work sent directly from each institution attended. If the original documents are in the student’s possession, copies certified by the school, college, university, or U.S. Consulate can be submitted initially, and the originals should be presented to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment for validation when students arrive on campus. All transcripts in languages other than English must be accompanied by certified English translations.

International applicants must submit the following documents to be considered for admission to UTEP:

Application for Admission found at
$65.00 application fee paid in U.S. dollars
Satisfactory SAT, ACT, PAA, or TOEFL scores.
Complete, official high school transcript
Complete, official transcripts from EACH college or university attended (for transfer applicants).
International students who have been admitted and wish to apply for a student visa must submit the following documents in order to meet financial certification requirements as set by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services regulations to receive an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status:

Signed and completed Certification of Financial Resources form
Appropriate documentation verifying source and availability of funds. Acceptable documents include but are not limited to bank statements, scholarship award letters, educational benefits certification from an employer, etc.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

The Office of Admissions and Recruitment is responsible for determining residency status of students for tuition purposes. The Office is guided by the Texas Education Code, the Rules and Regulations for Determining Residence Status of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and University regulations. Under the State of Texas statutes and regulations, a student or prospective student is classified as a resident of Texas, a non-resident, or a foreign student.

.A non-resident student is a citizen, a national or permanent resident of the U.S., or an alien who has been permitted by Congress to adopt the U.S. as his or her domicile while in this country and who has not met the State of Texas requirement for establishing residency for tuition purposes.

While these State of Texas requirements for establishing residency are complex and should be referred to in each particular circumstance, they generally require that an independent individual (18 years of age or older) establish a domicile in Texas and reside in Texas for a period of 12 months prior to the census date of the academic term in which she or he is enrolled. For minors and dependents, the parents or court-appointed legal guardian must have established a domicile and meet the residency requirements. The minor or dependent must be eligible to be claimed by the parent or court-appointed legal guardian on the parents’ or legal guardian’s federal income tax. In accordance with title 19, Texas Administrative Code §21.25, to initially establish residency status students will be required to submit a completed set of Core Residency Questions or supporting documentation, as directed.

An individual can also be classified as a Texas resident if the individual (1) graduated from a public or private high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Texas; (2) resided in Texas for at least three years after graduation from high school or receiving the equivalent of a high school diploma; and (3) continuously resided in Texas for one year prior to the census date of the academic term of enrollment at UTEP. An individual is classified as a Texas resident until he or she establishes a residence outside of the state of Texas.

The following visa holders are eligible to establish a domicile in the United States and have the same privilege of qualifying for Texas residency as U.S. citizens: A-1, A-2, A-3, E-1, E-2, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, G-5, H-1B, H-4, dependents of H-1B, I, K-1, K-2, K-3, K-4, L1a, L1b, L-2, NATO 1-7, O-1, O-2, O-3; dependents of O-1, R-1, R-2, V, OP-1, I-551, or I-688/A/B visas that have not expired. For these cardholders to be eligible for resident tuition, residency must be established.

An individual who is classified as a non-resident or foreign student can qualify, under certain exceptions, for resident tuition rates and other charges while continuing to be classified as a non-resident or a foreign student.

Residency Requirements

In general, an individual who is 18 years of age and older who is gainfully employed in Texas for a 12-month term immediately preceding registration is considered a Texas resident. The residence of a minor or dependent is usually that of the parent with whom the individual resides.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Transfer applicants must indicate all institutions attended on the admission application and must submit a complete, official transcript from EACH school attended, regardless of the amount of work completed or the intent to have the credit transferred. Credit earned at institutions not declared on the admissions application cannot be used toward a degree at UTEP. Failure to provide complete information will be considered grounds for denial of admission, denial of transfer credit, cancellation of registration, or appropriate disciplinary action.

The University honors suspension periods imposed by other colleges and universities. An applicant who is ineligible to return to any school previously attended because of suspension or dismissal or whose official records will not be released is not eligible for admission to UTEP until eligible for readmission to the previous institutions or until the official documents have been released. Information regarding the transferability of credit can be found in the ACADEMIC REGULATIONS section of this catalog under "Transfer Credit". Students who have questions concerning UTEP's evaluation of transfer credit should refer to the "Resolution of Transfer Disputes" in that same section.