Online Profiles

University of Rochester - 2016

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Admission to full-time graduate school for the beginning of the fall semester. Limited admission to full-time graduate school beginning of spring semester in some programs. Part-time students may begin study in either semester. Applicants for financial aid beginning in Sept. should submit complete applications by preceding Jan. 1. GRE scores are strongly recommended or required in certain departments. International students whose native language is not English must submit scores for either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Application deadline is January 1 unless otherwise noted on program website. Only electronic applications are accepted.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

For graduate study information on various departments, please contact: Gretchen Briscoe at World Wide Web:

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

TOEFL or IELTS examination required of all applicants whose native language is not English.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

Same as resident students.

Residency Requirements

A minimum of two consecutive semesters in residence is required for the Ph.D. degree.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Master's degrees or courses taken at graduate levels may be considered for transfer credit if they form an integral part of the proposed program of study and if taken within five years of matriculation in a Ph.D. program. Grades must be B or higher. Of the minimum 30 credit hours in a master's degree, up to 10 may be accepted as transfer credit. Courses may apply toward degree requirements if they form an integral part of the proposed program of study, if taken within five years of matriculation with a grade of B or higher, and if the course(s) have not been used in another graduate degree. Approval of the faculty advisor and the Dean of Graduate Studies is required for any transfer credit.