Online Profiles

University of Alaska Fairbanks - 2016

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Students must submit an application, official transcripts of all college-level work, resume, statement of goals, and 3 letters of recommendation. Some programs require GRE scores. If a student's undergraduate GPA is below 3.0, he/she must submit GRE scores regardless of department requirements. See information at for more information.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

Some departments have additional requirements. See or contact individual departments for more information.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

TOEFL minimum: 79 (internet) or IELTS minimum: 6.5. F-1 visa holders must maintain a full-time course load (12 credits per semester) and must sign a statement and provide documentation that funds are available to pay all expenses while attending UAF, as well as funds for round-trip transportation between home and Alaska. F-1 visa students do not qualify for exemption from non-resident tuition rates. Application should reach the Office of Admissions by March 1 for the fall semester or September 1 for the spring semester. The application must be completed and accepted by August 1 for the fall, and November 1 for the spring. On-campus housing can not be reserved until the application for admission has been accepted.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

Same requirements as resident students.

Residency Requirements

Students eligible for Alaska resident tuition include:

Alaska residents as defined below.

Members of the United States military on active duty (stationed in Alaska) and members of the Alaska National Guard, their spouses and dependent children, residents of British Columbia, the Yukon, Northwest or Nunavut Territories, students from other states or provinces whose public universities waive non-resident charges for Alaska residents and students from foreign cities and provinces that have partnerships with Alaska or specific Alaska communities (lists of approved programs are published online in University of Alaska Board of Regents regulations), students participating in the UA Scholars Program, and students participating in the University of Alaska College Savings Program who meet eligibility criteria as established by the Education Trust of Alaska.
For purposes of tuition assessment, a "resident" is any person who, prior to the published first day of instruction at his or her home campus:
has been physically present in Alaska for two years (apart from documented absences due to illness, vacations, attending another educational institution while maintaining Alaska residency, or other absences not exceeding a total of 120 days in the two-year period), and declares the intention to remain in Alaska indefinitely.
A dependent child (one who is unmarried, younger than age 24, and financially dependent on his or her parent or guardian) will be considered a resident if he or she has a parent or guardian who qualifies as an Alaska resident as defined above. Dependent children of alumni who have received an associate, baccalaureate or graduate degree from the University of Alaska also qualify for resident tuition.

A student will be considered non-resident if within two years prior to applying for residency he or she:
carried out any act inconsistent with Alaska residency,
was claimed as a dependent child of a non-resident of Alaska for federal income tax purposes during the most recent tax year, or
paid resident tuition at an educational institution in another state during the past two years. Students having non-immigrant visa status are not eligible for Alaska residency.

A student who has initially registered as a non-resident may apply for resident status after residing in the state for one year under the university's "bona fide resident" provision. Bona fide resident status can be based on either:
eligibility to receive the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend,
or satisfying five of the following conditions:
voter registration in Alaska,
vehicle registration in Alaska for at least nine months,
motor vehicle operator's license in Alaska for at least nine months,
evidence of one or more years of physical presence in Alaska within the past three years -- you may not have enrolled in more than six credit hours at a college or university during the three-year time frame, ownership of real property in Alaska, active checking or saving accounts in Alaska, or other evidence of residence deemed satisfactory by the university's chief enrollment officer or designee.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Transfer student requirements are the same as non-transfer student requirements.