Online Profiles

Humboldt State University - 2016

print entire profile


Expenses & Financial Aid

Student Group(s): All Students

Undergraduate Group 1
Tuition & Fees: $7,212
Room & Board: $12,638
Books & Supplies: $1,660
Other Expenses: $2,444
Estimated avg. course load per term: 14
Does your institute have any special programs or fee structures for the expenses category "All Students"?: Yes

Special Programs or Fee Structures

Link to Fees and Financial Aid information from Humboldt State University's 2016/17 catalog:

MBA students: Professional Program Fee
A fee is charged on a per unit basis ($254 per unit) in addition to the registration fees (and nonresident tuition fee, if applicable) for the graduate business programs.

Out of State Tuition
Example: 12 units x 2 semesters = 24 units x $372 per unit = $8,928 non-residence fees.
Undergraduates: $8,928 + $23,954 = $32,882 per year cost of attendance.
Graduates: (9 units) $6,696 + $25,220 = $31,916 per year cost of attendance

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) - Estimated Cost of Attendance 2016-2017
Estimated Tuition and Fees=$9,948
Books & Supplies=$1,660
Food & Housing=$12,638
Transportation =$1,052
Total =$26,690

Financial Aid Information

Required financial aid forms

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

Additional Financial Aid Information

Link to Humboldt State University's Office of Financial Aid website:

Financial Aid
Humboldt State recommends early application for financial aid, as some types of aid are extremely limited and/or have deadlines.

Parents are expected to provide for their dependents’ education in accordance with nationally recognized standards. In addition, students are expected to use part of their savings and employment earnings to help meet expenses.

You may apply for aid via FAFSA online at; remember to file for your electronic PIN code for FAFSA and also have your parents apply for a PIN code, if needed for signatures.

Deadlines. File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and list Humboldt (our school code is 001149) as a school choice to be considered for all federal aid, state grants, and scholarships administered by the Financial Aid Office. New Cal Grant applicants also need to obtain and file the required Cal Grant GPA Verification form. To be considered for a scholarship or grant, both forms must be filed by March 2 for the 2016-2017 FAFSA, although applicants are advised to file as soon as possible after January 1.

Types of Aid - A partial list of aid sources follows:

Federal Pell Grants. All undergraduates filing for aid are considered for this grant, based on financial need. This federal grant helps students who have not yet earned a bachelor’s degree.

Federal College Work Study. Need-based funding for part-time jobs on or off campus.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants. Awarded to a limited number of undergraduates.

Educational Opportunity Program Grants. Economically and educationally disadvantaged undergraduates may qualify for this state-funded program. Recipients must be enrolled in Humboldt’s Educational Opportunity Program.

State University Grants. State-supported, awarded to California residents with financial need. You must be classified as a California resident for fee purposes to be eligible for this grant. Fee waivers can affect eligibility for this grant.

For the following types of financial aid, students might need to fill out additional application forms. Contact Humboldt’s Financial Aid Office, 707-826-4321, for information and applications.

Federal Direct Loans. Long-term federal loans available to students and the parents of dependent students. Interest rates are variable and adjusted each year on July 1. The current maximum interest rates are 6.9% for students, 8% for parents. Repayment and deferment plans vary. For comprehensive information, contact the Financial Aid Office.

Cal Grants A and B are state grants awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to California residents. Cal Grants A and B are for undergraduates.

Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) is a new program beginning in the 2014-15 academic year that provides undergraduate students with family incomes up to $150,000 a scholarship to attend University of California (UC) or California State University (CSU) campuses. MCS scholarships are not set amounts and may vary by student and institution. If you are selected to receive a MCS, you will be notified by the California Student Aid Commission.

TEACH Grant. Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low income families. Currently, the TEACH Grant is only available to credential students. For detailed information about the TEACH Grant, go to:
types/grants-scholarships/teach. After reading all of the information on the fact sheet, if you are interested in learning more about the TEACH Grant Program, please contact the financial aid office to schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grants and Tribal Scholarships. American Indians who qualify may receive federal grants funded by BIA or their tribal agencies. Interested students should contact their Tribal Education Office for tribal scholarship and BIA Higher Education Grant applications. Financial aid recipients must report these educational grants as resources.

Humboldt State Short-term Loans range from $50 to $500; generally, must be repaid within ten weeks.

Financial Aid Office Scholarships. Financial Aid awards scholarships, averaging $800, primarily on the basis of need. Other donor interests, such as community of residence, may be factors in determining recipients.

Applications for HSU scholarships are available from January 1 through March 2 via our online application, accessible via the student portal. Financial Aid measures academic achievement by grade information obtained from the Office of the Registrar.