Online Profiles

New Mexico State University - 2016

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Students seeking admission to graduate student status at New Mexico State University (NMSU) must hold a minimum of a bachelor's degree or an advanced degree from an accredited institution. The program of preparation should be substantially equivalent in the distribution of academic subject matter to the requirements for a comparable degree at NMSU. Formal application with the Graduate School is required of all prospective students, including graduates of NMSU, who seek admission to a graduate program. An applicant must have a minimum grade-point average of 3.0. Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions must be sent directly to the Graduate School. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test is required for all applicants. Test scores must be sent to the Graduate School.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

It is required that all prospective students apply to both the Graduate School and the Department/Program of your choice. Check with the Department/Program you are applying to for their deadlines and for other application materials required (e.g. statement of purpose, psychometric scores).

Note: The Graduate School Application Packet should be received at least 30 days before the Department deadline and 30 days before classes begin..

Send all departmental materials to the Department/Program.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

In addition to meeting the Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering and Engineering Department requirements, international students must have minimum TOEFL 79 IBT; 550 PBT or 6.5 IELTS. Contact The International Student and Scholar Services Office for conditional admission options:
Web Page -
Email -
Phone - (575) 646-2834

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

Same as Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Residency Requirements

A person's residency classification for tuition purposes shall be determined at time of admission and must be completed by the census date of that first enrollment at New Mexico State University. Persons Under the age of 18 are considered minors under the law. A minor's residence is presumed to be the same as his/her parents' or legal guardian's. The residence decision for student under 18 is based upon the legal residence of the parents or legal guardian. In the event that a non‐custodial parent is a legal resident of New Mexico, the minor student will be classified as a resident.

To prove New Mexico residency a student must have evidence of any two of the following:
- If you are financially dependent, a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ previous year income tax information showing you as a dependent and the parents’ address as New Mexico;
- A New Mexico high school transcript issued in the past year confirming attendance at a NM public or private high school within the past 12 months;
- A transcript from an online high school showing a New Mexico address confirming attendance within the last 12 months;
- A New Mexico driver’s license or ID card with an original date of issue or a renewal date issued prior to the first day of the term or semester;
- Proof of payment of New Mexico state income tax for the previous year;
- Evidence of employment within the state of New Mexico;
- New Mexico vehicle registration;
- Voter registration in New Mexico;
- Proof of residential property ownership in New Mexico;
- A rental agreement within New Mexico;
- Utility bills showing the applicant name and a New Mexico address;
- Other evidence which would reasonably support the individual’s intent to establish and maintain New Mexico residency.

Waivers are available if certain conditions can be met and evidence provided.

- Twelve (12) month durational requirement. A person must physically reside in New Mexico for the twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which the resident classification is requested.
- Financial independence requirement. Only persons who are financially independent may establish residency apart from parents or guardians.
- Written declaration of intent requirement. The student or person must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in any other state and to establish it in New Mexico.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Same as Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering.