Online Profiles

New Mexico State University - 2016

print entire profile

Engineering Technology


Admission to Engineering Technology College

New Mexico State University does not have an Engineering Technology College; only an Engineering Technology Department in the College of Engineering.

Admission to an Engineering Technology Department

Qualifications for undergraduate admissions to NMSU are as follows:

- Graduation from any state high school or academy in the United States accredited by a regional accrediting association or approved by a state department of education or state universities.
- Students must meet one of the criteria below and meet the minimum high school requirements listed in order to be admitted:

-- Cumulative high school grade point average of at least 2.75
-- Ranked in the top 20% of their graduating class
-- ACT composite score of 21 or SAT composite score of 990

Minimum high school requirements:
English - 4 units*
Science - 2 units beyond general science
Mathematics - 4 units**
Foreign language or fine arts - 1 unit

*Must include at least 2 units of writing-intensive courses one of which must be a junior or senior-level course.
**Completion of Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2, and one additional math course.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

After meeting the requirements in Admission to the Engineering Technology Department, each international undergraduate student is administered an English Language Proficiency Test (ELPT). NMSU requires a score of 520 paper-based or 68 internet-based or better on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or a score of 6.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), for all international students, both nondegree and degree seeking. International students may also demonstrate English proficiency by satisfactorily completing NMSU’s Center for English Language Programs (CELP) programs. A waiver of the TOEFL requirement may be considered for:
- Students who are native speakers of English.
- Students completing high school in the United States who (a) have attended the high school for at least two full semesters and (b) have scored in at least the 75th percentile in English on the ACT.
- Students transferring from a junior college, or university in the United States who have earned a minimum of 30 acceptable semester credits (45 acceptable quarter credits) with a GPA of 2.0 or better (acceptable credit means classes that require a high proficiency in both written and oral English).
- Students demonstrating English-language proficiency using methods accepted by the Undergraduate Admissions Office.
- Students enrolling in certain programs where English language proficiency is not required.
- Students completing coursework in CELP. Satisfactory completion requires a final grade of no less than 70% in all courses. Visit for full details.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

Same as Admission to the Engineering Technology Department

Residency Requirements

A person's residency classification for tuition purposes shall be determined at time of admission and must be completed by the census date of that first enrollment at New Mexico State University. Persons Under the age of 18 are considered minors under the law. A minor's residence is presumed to be the same as his/her parents' or legal guardian's. The residence decision for student under 18 is based upon the legal residence of the parents or legal guardian. In the event that a non‐custodial parent is a legal resident of New Mexico, the minor student will be classified as a resident.

To prove New Mexico residency a student must have evidence of any two of the following:
- If you are financially dependent, a copy of the parents’ or guardians’ previous year income tax information showing you as a dependent and the parents’ address as New Mexico;
- A New Mexico high school transcript issued in the past year confirming attendance at a NM public or private high school within the past 12 months;
- A transcript from an online high school showing a New Mexico address confirming attendance within the last 12 months;
- A New Mexico driver’s license or ID card with an original date of issue or a renewal date issued prior to the first day of the term or semester;
- Proof of payment of New Mexico state income tax for the previous year;
- Evidence of employment within the state of New Mexico;
- New Mexico vehicle registration;
- Voter registration in New Mexico;
- Proof of residential property ownership in New Mexico;
- A rental agreement within New Mexico;
- Utility bills showing the applicant name and a New Mexico address;
- Other evidence which would reasonably support the individual’s intent to establish and maintain New Mexico residency.

Waivers are available if certain conditions can be met and evidence provided.

- Twelve (12) month durational requirement. A person must physically reside in New Mexico for the twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the term for which the resident classification is requested.
- Financial independence requirement. Only persons who are financially independent may establish residency apart from parents or guardians.
- Written declaration of intent requirement. The student or person must sign a written declaration of intent to relinquish residency in any other state and to establish it in New Mexico.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Transfer students from other colleges or universities may be accepted for undergraduate studies if they have completed at least 36 college credit hours with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0 and are eligible to return to their previous college or university. Students who have earned 35 or fewer college credits must fulfill the freshman admission requirements and have at least a 2.75 overall grade point average in college.

Number of Transfer Students from:

A two-year community junior college where they were full-time students:
A four-year college or university where they were full-time students: