Online Profiles

University of Kansas - 2017

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

The applicant must hold a BS degree in engineering or a related discipline, provide official transcripts, have at least a 3.0 undergraduate grade point average, three letters of recommendation and must pay an application fee. Online domestic applications cost $65; international applications cost $85. Supplemental application materials, including GRE requirements, vary by program.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

Same as above.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

English Proficiency
Regular Admission - reading, listening, and writing all parts at least 20
Provisional Admission - reading, listening, and writing all parts at least 18


Graduation with a baccalaureate degree (or higher) earned in residence from an accredited English-medium U.S. institution or a college or university in the United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, English-speaking province of Canada, or an English-speaking Caribbean country, with instruction conducted in English. Degrees earned online may not be used to verify English proficiency.

Financial Documentation
Proof of financial support required.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

Same as regular admission. International students seeking F-1 status must meet the standards of Regular Admission. Provisional admission is not sufficient to issue the Form I-20.

Residency Requirements

Resident tuition classification is determined by criteria found in Kansas statutes and regulations of the Kansas Board of Regents. Students are responsible for providing information sufficient to support their applications for resident classification. This is a general overview of the procedures and criteria used to determine resident status. It does not replace or supersede the statutes or Regents' regulations which contain the detailed requirements that must be met in order to prove resident status.

•You must have continuous physical residency in Kansas for at least 365 days prior to the first day of classes for which you are applying for residency.

•During those 365 days, your sources of financial support to meet your living expenses must come from Kansas sources. Living expenses include tuition and books if you are student. Sources of income that are from full-time, non-student jobs are more beneficial. Maintaining ties to other states will hinder your residency.

•You must show intent to remain in Kansas indefinitely. There are things that can strengthen your case but won't make you a resident by themselves. They are: Kansas driver's license, voter registration in Kansas, car registration in Kansas, owning a home in Kansas, etc.

•You must prove that you are residing in Kansas for reasons other than educational purposes. If you are a full-time student upon moving to Kansas, this requirement is the hardest to show because we will presume that you are here for educational purposes.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Same as regular admission.