Online Profiles

University of Minnesota -Twin Cities - 2017

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Any student with a US bachelor's degree or a comparable foreign degree from a recognized college or university may apply to the dean of the Graduate School. Applicants with the necessary background for their chosen major field, an excellent scholastic record from an approved college or university, and appropriate professional qualifications may be admitted for graduate work on recommendation of the graduate faculty in the proposed major field & approval of the dean of the Graduate School. Requests for applications should be send to the director of graduate studies in the individual program. Requests should specify the applicant's proposed major field & emphasis, degree objective, & date of entry. Applicants are encouraged to apply well in advance of the term in which they wish to enter but no more than one year in advance.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

See above. Requirements vary depending upon department within the College of Science and Engineering.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

Same as for domestic students.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

Same as for resident students.

Residency Requirements

See undergraduate residency requirements.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

Master's degree students are required by the Graduate School to complete at least 60 percent of the coursework for their offical degree programs (excluding thesis credits) as registered U of MN Grad School students. With the approval of the adviser, the director of grad studies in the major (and minor, if applicable), & the Grad School, the transfer of up to 40% of the degree program is permitted from other recognized graduate schools; adult special, summer session and Univ. College registrations at the U of MN.
For the doctoral degree, graduate credits earned at other recognized graduate institutions may be applied to doctoral degrees if the coursework was taken as an enrolled, graduate-degree-seeking student & the credits appear on the official transcript. In the case of a transfer from a non-US institution, the credits must have been earned in a program judged by the Grad School to be comparable to a graduate degree program of a regionally accredited institution in the US.