Online Profiles

University of California, Berkeley - 2017

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

:::::::::::: COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING - Students admitted by the Graduate Division of the University to graduate study in engineering, including those interested in multidisciplinary programs, must be accepted by one of the engineering departments. Students must state on the admission application form the department and the program of study they desire. Additional admission information for graduate study in engineering is available at

:::::::::::: CHEMICAL ENGINEERING - Admission is granted by the University's Graduate Division on the recommendation of the department.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

:::::::::::: Direct COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING admission inquiries to the department of interest. Engineering department information can be found at

:::::::::::: The DEPARTMENT OF CHEMICAL ENGINEERING is part of the College of Chemistry. Address admission inquiries to: Graduate Office, Department of Chemical Engineering, 201 Gilman Hall , University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-1462 or visit:

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

:::::::::::: COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING: Graduates of recognized academic institutions outside the United States should hold a degree equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree
All international applicants from countries in which the official language is not English (or who have not completed at least one year of full-time academic course work with grades of B or better at a U.S. university) are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Additional information can be found at

:::::::::::: CHEMICAL ENGINEERING: Foreign students whose native language is not English must take an English proficiency exam (TOEFL). Additional information can be found at

Residency Requirements

There are no residency requirements unique to transfer students.

For residency requirements for all students with respect to ATTENDANCE and TUITION, see

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

You cannot transfer credit from other institutions if you are seeking a Ph.D. degree. A master’s student may transfer up to 4 semester units or 6 quarter units of course work completed as a graduate student at another institution if (a) the work was taken in graduate status at an accredited institution, (b) it did not form part of a program for a degree previously awarded at Berkeley or elsewhere, and (c) the grade received was at least a “B” and the student’s overall GPA at both institutions was at least 3.3. Acceptance is subject to the approval of the Graduate Division upon recommendation of the department concerned. Transfer of credit will not reduce your academic residence requirements or the required minimum of 200-series courses in the major field.
More information in