Online Profiles

University of New Hampshire - 2017

print entire profile


Admissions Information

Graduate Admission to the College of Engineering

Persons holding a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and wishing to take graduate-level courses at the university as part of a graduate degree program must apply for admission to the Graduate School.

Admission to the Graduate School is both limited
and competitive and is based solely upon academic qualifications and potential.

Application procedures are included with the application packet, which is available from the
Graduate School, University of New Hampshire, Thompson Hall, 105 Main Street, Durham,
NH 03824-3547. Specific program information and admission and degree requirements are
outlined in the program descriptions of this catalog. The completed application for admission
to graduate study also serves as the application (for new students) for assistantships and for
full-time scholarships supported through the Graduate School.



Once an application is complete, it is reviewed by faculty members in the engineering departments. All
materials that are submitted as part of the application receive careful consideration. The review is
normally conducted by an admissions committee of engineering graduate faculty members, which makes
recommendations to the Graduate School concerning the admission of applicants to the program.
Upon receipt of the committee's recommendation, the Graduate School carefully reviews the
applicant's file. After making the final decision, the Graduate School will inform all applicants of
the action taken. While applicants with bachelor's degrees may apply directly to certain doctoral
programs, the Graduate School reserves the right to offer these applicants admission at the master's
degree level.
APPLICATION DEADLINES. December 1, for the spring session; April 1, for the
summer session; and July 1 (although April 1 is recommended for full consideration) for the fall session. Applicants for financial assistance (assistantships and scholarships) should check the graduate school website for the most current deadlines.

Graduate Admission to an Engineering Department

Applications are reviewed by graduate faculty from the area of specialization, who make recommendations to The Graduate School.

Entrance Requirements for Foreign Students

International students, residing outside the United States, interested in pursuing a graduate degree at the University of New Hampshire, must submit a pre-application form that is filled out online through the graduate school website, prior to receiving a Graduate School application packet. The pre-application process is designed to save time and money, as there are no fees and official documents are not required. (It is recommended that applicants not submit official documents, as pre-applications are not retained after the department's review.)

Once received, the pre-application is forwarded to the individual department for review. It provides the department with information necessary to determine if the applicant's specific area of interest is offered, if there is an adviser for that area, and if funding will be available.

Self-reported GRE and TOEFL scores are required before any department will review a pre-application.

After reviewing the pre-application, the department may or may not recommend that application material be sent. You will be notified via e-mail of either decision typically within 7 to 10 days. Applications packets are sent out from the Graduate School. The time frame for an official application packet to reach you (if recommended by the department) is one to two months if you use a paper application. TOEFL: All applicants who are not native English speakers are required to demonstrate a sufficient level of proficiency in the English language to meet the admission requirement of the Graduate School. Proficiency can be demonstrated by the receipt of a Bachelor's or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or from a university in another country where English is the primary language of instruction. All other non-native speakers must achieve a minimum score of 550 (paper-based test) or 213 (computer-based tests) or 80 (internet based) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Many departments and programs require submission of a TOEFL score of 600 (paper-based test) or 250 (computer-based tests) or 100 (internet based) or higher. Recently added is the TOEIC - Test of English for International Communication - (for recommended TOEIC test scores please contact your department directly). A financial statement on official university forms is also required.

Applications from residents of foreign countries will be considered only for regular admission.

Entrance Requirements for Non-Resident Students

There are no additional requirements for non-resident students.

Residency Requirements

MASTER'S DEGREE. A student will normally spend at least one calendar year, or the equivalent, in
satisfying the requirements for the master's degree.

Master's Continuing Research Master's students who have completed all course
requirements and have previously registered for the maximum number of thesis or project
credits and are in residence completing their master's program must register for Master's
Continuing Research.

All graduate work for any master's degree must be completed within six years
from the date of matriculation (admission/enrollment) in the program. Progress toward the
degree will be carefully monitored by the adviser and the Graduate School to ensure that
adequate advancement is made toward the completion of the program and that any deficiencies
noted at the time of admission are removed.

DOCTORAL DEGREE. All doctoral students must be registered each semester that they use university
facilities. A minimum of three academic years of graduate study is required for the doctorate.
Resident graduate work done at other universities may be counted toward the minimum
requirement upon approval of the guidance committee and the dean of the Graduate School, but
one full academic year must be in residence at the University of New Hampshire. In individual
cases, the major department and the dean of the Graduate School may grant permission to
pursue the research for the dissertation at another institution where access to special facilities
would be advantageous.

A minimum of two semesters of registration in Doctoral Research is
required. However, doctoral students at candidacy must register for 999 (Doctoral Research) each semester during
the academic year, even if the minimum requirement has been met.

All graduate work for the doctorate must be completed within eight years of the
beginning of doctoral study, unless the student entered with a master's degree in the same field,
in which case the doctorate must be completed within seven years. The beginning of doctoral
study is defined as the beginning date of the earliest course applied to the doctoral record. The
student must be advanced to candidacy within five years of the beginning of doctoral study or
within four years if the student entered with a master's degree in the same field.

Admissions Requirements for Transfer Students

The UNH Graduate school does not accept transfer students - we have no transfer application or process. The Graduate School will accepting up to 8 credits from external schools, 12 from UNH, or some combination of the two never to exceed the 8 and 12 limits. Students can do a change of degree from one department to another, however, within UNH.
Courses being considered for transfer must have been completed with a grade of B or better and must have been taken for graduate credit. Courses cannot be transferred for credit if used in earning another degree.
Transfer of credits must be recommended by the program faculty and approved by the dean of the Graduate School. Students taking courses at another university for transfer after enrolling at UNH should obtain approval of their adviser and the graduate dean prior to enrolling in the course.